Aug 22, 2010

Under Construction



So far, so good. I would like to drop five more pounds to be able to comfortably fit into the next size down, but I've reached a plateau. When that happens, it usually means that your body has reached some sort of level of tolerance and you need to challenge it in news ways.

So I'm reducing some of my Cardio Queen duties for awhile and focusing more on strength exercises. This may be the better way to go anyways. From what I've been reading, cardio is great for burning calories but not as effective as weight bearing exercises for burning fat and building lean body mass. So, too much running and you could end up looking more skinny fat than toned. (For a visual, think Vince Vaughn before dating Jennifer Aniston and then after. He's still adorable either way, but there is a difference.) If you're going to put in the time, you might as well get as much bang for your buck as you can.

The key is to start slow and build, concentrating on one main body part at a time, so as not to be entirely incapacitated the next day. Yet, even with this strategy in mind, you know that you WILL encounter a painful amount of muscle soreness, so get the ice pack, the Calgon bubble bath, Ibuprofen, and Bengay ready in advance. But hey, if it gets bad enough you can always just whimper loud enough so your significant other will take pity on your weak ass and be willing to give you a massage to ease your misery. Otherwise you could be permanently immobile and forced into a nursing home way before your time.

Tonight, though, I'm trying out my new Yoga and Pilates DVD. The woman on the cover seems really ecstatic about it making me think that downward dog just may be the key to happiness. I figure if it's good enough for Cameron Diaz and all of those other Hollywood stars, then it's good enough for me. With any luck and 8hrs of core training a day, I should have a smokin' bod like hers just in time for the next magazine cover that is sure to come my way. Medi hasn't offered me that yet, but it's probably just a matter of time before they decide they need someone for a Valerie Bertinelli bikini shot. :) In the meantime I'll just work on those abs, pencil in a minor, little tummy tuck, and gather up some courage for that belly button piercing and I'll be good to go. Until then, I'll keep you posted. Time to get started.

(Looks like Mick has done so yoga in his time too. Check out his transition from chicken warrior to swimming monkey. How did he ever get all those groupies?)

YouTube - Rolling Stones - Start Me Up

1 comment: